2 Tbsp Olive Oil Uncured Sausage Ring (beef, turkey, your choice - uncured contains no nitrates or nitrites) 15-oz Can of Diced Potatoes, drained 1/2 of 14.5-oz Can of Sauerkraut One small onion, diced to suit your tastes 3/4 cup Low Sodium Vegetable Broth Mrs. Dash Italian Seasoning 1/2 Tbsp - 1 Tbsp Fennel Seeds 1 Tbsp of Grainy Brown Mustard
1. Slice the sausage and cut the slices in half.
2. Warm up 2 Tbsp Olive Oil in a skillet; add the diced onion and the halved sausage slices. Heat on medium-high until the onions are translucent and the meat is browning.
3. Add the drained diced potatoes. Season with Mrs. Dash Italian seasoning and stir up the mixture. Add approximately a half can of sauerkraut, to suit your tastes. Stir the mixture and continue heating.
4. Add the Vegetable Broth, Fennel Seeds, and Grainy Mustard. Stir the mixture. Heat up to boil and then reduce to simmer. Let the liquid cook down, stirring occasionally for 15-20 minutes.
5. Serve with a green salad; along with sliced rye bread and butter.
To make this even richer, drain a can of wide Italian green beans and add to the mix after adding the sauerkraut.
Before adding the 3/4 cup of broth, check the amount of juice in the pan. Add less broth if it's not needed. Watch the dish while it's cooking down and stir often, making sure the food doesn't boil dry. It's best to leave some pan juices for serving.
We skip adding the grainy mustard, and we've found we like to sprinkle in Herbs de Provence instead of adding the fennel seeds.
Psalm 121:1-2 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.